Randy Johnson ranks ’em:
1. Penn State (4-0, 1-0): Saquon Barkley jumped to the head of the Heisman Trophy discussion with 358 total yards (211 rushing, 94 receiving and 53 returning) against Iowa.
2. Michigan (4-0, 1-0): Wolverines have a week off, then face Sparty in the Big House.
3. Wisconsin (3-0): Badgers host Northwestern in Big Ten opener, and they are 5-5 vs. Wildcats in past 10 meetings.
4. Ohio State (3-1, 1-0): Next three opponents for Buckeyes are Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska. Next big test comes Oct. 28 vs. Penn State.
5. Iowa (3-1, 0-1): Hawkeyes nearly stunned Penn State but are 3½-point underdogs at Michigan State.
6. Gophers (3-0): The U’s start to Big Ten season — vs. Maryland, at Purdue, vs. Michigan State — should provide much more of a test than the nonconference slate.
7. Purdue (2-2, 0-1): Boilermakers, idle this week, will be without two key defensive starters for the first half (targeting penalties) against the visiting Gophers on Oct. 7.
8. Michigan State (2-1): Three first-half turnovers doomed Spartans in 38-18 loss to Notre Dame.
9. Northwestern (2-1): Wildcats have quite the back-to-back stretch: at Wisconsin, home vs. Penn State.
10. Maryland (2-1): The Terrapins are down to their third QB and just were throttled at home by Central Florida.
11. Indiana (2-1, 0-1): The Hoosiers beat Virginia, which just won at Boise State. Can they hang with Penn State?
12. Nebraska (2-2, 1-0): Win over Rutgers helped, but unless QB Tanner Lee stops throwing pick-sixes — he’s had three in the past two weeks — the Huskers won’t be a factor.
13. Illinois (2-1): Visit from Nebraska should serve as good measuring stick in the Illini’s rebuild.
14. Rutgers (1-3, 0-1): Scarlet Knights’ Big Ten losing streak at 15; they face Ohio State next.