I am on a roll in picking WCHA games. I was 7-1-1 last week, 8-3-1 the week before. It's doubtful I can keep that up. But let's try:
* Gophers at St. Cloud State on Fri., SCSU at Gophers Sat.: It has been well-chronicled that two of the Huskies three captains are out indefinitely. Forward Drew LeBlanc is healing from two broken bones in one of his legs, goalie Mike Lee from hip surgery. SCSU says in a couple weeks, it will be known whether they can return this season. Lee said chances are slim.
But Huskies are regrouping, getting points every WCHA weekend. The Gophers learned a lesson last Friday. Came out flat against Wisconsin on Friday and were almost shut out. Should be ready this weekend. ... Gophers sweep
* Minnesota State Mankato at Minnesota Duluth: Bulldogs play better on the road, but they are on a roll. Unbeaten in last eight games (6-0-2). And goalie Kenny Reiter has earned WCHA defensive player of the week honors two weeks in a row. Mavericks split with St. Cloud State last weekend. ... Bulldogs sweep
* Nebraska Omaha at Denver: Big series between two teams who expect to be WCHA title contenders. DU is 8-3 all-time vs. Mavericks, 6-0 in Denver. These are second and third games of a seven-game homestand for Pios. Their special teams have not played well. ... Terry Broadhurst and Matt White both have 17 points, which ties them for third in WCHA scoring. Mavs have had 40 shots or more in five of their past seven games. ... Split
* Wisconsin at Colorado College: The Badgers like to pick their spots to attack or counter-punch. They will probably try to do to CC what they did to the Gophers last Friday. Slow the game down, limit the shots, stay back. Jaden Schwartz of the TIgers has a 13-game points streak going back to last season. CC has at least one power play goal in six games in a row. ... Tigers sweep
* Michigan Tech at Alaska Anchorage: UAA is 6-1-3 in its last 10 games against Tech. And the Seawolves desperately need a win because their 0-6-0 start in WCHA games is their worst in 19 years. They have been outscored 23-4 in those six games. Senior Brett Olson of Superior lead the Huskes in points with 12 on four goals and eight assists. Tech has played much better at home. Anchorage is far away from Houghton. ... Split
* North Dakota at Bemidji State in Sat.-Sun. series: The Beavers are 0-16-1 against North Dakota since they moved up to Division I. A Disney show on Friday at Sanford Center is the reason this series is starting a day later than usual. Last season the Fighting Sioux, who were idle last weekend, swept the Beavers 5-2, 5-1 in the first series ever played in BSU's new arena. ...Sioux win, tie
TRACKING MY RECENT PICKS (counting ties as one-half win, one-half loss)
Week 3 8 - 3-1/2 - 1/2
Week 4 7 - 3-1/2 - 1-1/2
Week 5 8 - 3 - 1
Week 6 7 - 1 - 1
Week 7 ? - ? - ?
Totals 30 - 11 - 4 for winning percentage of 74.4 percent