The Vikings defense remains ahead of the offense one week into training camp. Fans were reminded of this Friday as the offense went 0-for-3 in producing points during the first two-minute drills of camp. The first-team offense turned the ball over on downs when receiver Greg Jennings dropped a short pass from Christian Ponder in tight coverage. The second-team offense, led by Matt Cassel, couldn’t overcome a holding call on center Joe Berger. A screen pass to Matt Asiata came up short on fourth-and-12. The third-team offense, led by McLeod Bethel-Thompson, was aided by a pass interference penalty on cornerback Greg McCoy. But Bethel-Thompson made two poor throws, missing receiver Rodney Smith on third and fourth down.
Walsh misses two
The offense never got close enough for kicker Blair Walsh to attempt a field goal during the two-minute drills. But the Vikings did run two situational drills in which they moved into position for Walsh and the placekicking team to run onto the field and attempt a field goal. Walsh, who’s working with a new holder, rookie Jeff Locke, missed wide right from about 45 yards. Later, he missed from 43 yards. It must have been just wide left. It looked good from the sideline, but the official under the left upright signaled no good.
FROM THE PODIUM
“When Adrian [Peterson] says 2,500 or 2,000, it’s a different thing … because he’s more than capable of achieving those goals. I’ve learned that. … I don’t doubt Adrian Peterson. If he says he can gain 2,500, it’s possible. If it was someone else talking about predictions and this or that, maybe we’ll have a conversation. But Adrian? Nah. I like to see him achieve his goals.”
– Coach Leslie Frazier, responding to a question about whether Peterson’s goal of rushing for 2,500 yards is a “distraction.”
“Not participating in it. In my four years, I think I’ve played all of one snap.”
– Defensive end Jared Allen, when asked what he was looking forward to most in Saturday night’s scrimmage inside Blakeslee Stadium.
• CB Xavier Rhodes (hamstring) missed Friday’s practice and is day-to-day.
• S Mistral Raymond (hamstring) missed Friday’s practice and is day-to-day.
• WR Greg Childs (knees) is on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
• LB Nathan Williams (ankle) is on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
Saturday: 10:30-11:30 a.m. walkthrough; 7-9 p.m. Practice at Blakeslee Stadium.
Sunday: Players are off.
Monday: 10:30-11:30 a.m. walkthrough; 2:30-4:45 p.m. full pads.