Miguel Sano did not start on Saturday after being hit on the left hand by a Tony Barnette pitch during Friday’s game.
Sano did not take batting practice before the game, but manager Paul Molitor hoped Sano could at least hit off the tee.
“Miggy is day to day,” Molitor said. “Obviously, he’s got some swelling and soreness in the hand. I’m not sure exactly what his availability is.”
Sano ended up not being available, as the swelling and the soreness in his hand were too much for him to swing a bat in any capacity on Saturday.
When asked after the game if he would be able to swing a bat on Sunday, Sano shook his head no.
Sano was hit in the same hand, but not in the same spot, on July 24 against the Dodgers. He tried to pinch hit the next day but felt discomfort and didn’t play in the final game of the series. He could follow that same path this weekend and not start again until Monday against the Brewers.
“We’ll re-evaluate tomorrow and see where we are at,” Molitor said.
With Joe Mauer getting Saturday off, Ehire Adrianza started at first base. It was his first start there this season after making two late-inning appearances there. Adrianza pointed out that he started a game at first for the Giants in 2015.
“I’m comfortable there,” said Adrianza, who handled two grounders hit to him with no trouble.
The Twins on Saturday fired four of their area scouts as the makeover of the organization continued. The ones let go were:
Marty Esposito, a longtime scout who covered Texas.
Alan Sandberg, who covered Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and upstate New York.
Ted Williams, who covered Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and parts of Nevada.
Mark Wilson, who covered North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wilson signed such local products as Mauer and Glen Perkins.
After taking several months to evaluate the organization, Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey and General Manager Thad Levine are expected to make several changes as they reshape it, and some longtime employees could be replaced.
Keep in mind that Falvey has an agreement to not hire anyone from Cleveland, his previous organization, for a year. That year runs out in October.
Lewis forgoes Team USA
Twins prospect Royce Lewis, the first overall selection in the June draft, turned down a chance to play for Team USA in the upcoming U-18 World Cup, which will be Sept. 1-10 in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The shortstop played on last year’s team, but he wants to focus on his pro career with the Twins.
Too bad for Twins fans, because they could have had a chance to see him play in town. The team trials will be in Minneapolis this year. Four games are scheduled for Aug. 19-23 at Siebert Field, and two games, on Aug. 24 and 26, will be at Target Field. Team USA also will play games in St. Paul and Rochester.
Lewis entered Saturday batting .287 with three home runs, 17 RBI and a .397 on-base percentage in 31 games for the Twins Gulf Coast rookie league team.
• Hector Santiago will go back to Class AAA Rochester and make one more rehabilitation start. Santiago, out with upper thoracic back pain, hit 85-89 miles per hour in his last outing, and the Twins would like to see him add a little more velocity — while refining his pitches — before activating him.
• Perkins, in town to host his charity 5K run Sunday, played catch in the outfield. He has missed more than a year following surgery to repair a torn labrum.