Carlos Quentin, a two-time All-Star outfielder who hasn’t played in the majors since 2014, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Twins, a source with knowledge of the signing said Tuesday, and will be in major-league training camp later this month.

    Quentin batted .177/.284/.315 in 50 games with the Padres two summers ago before being released, and called off a comeback attempt with the Mariners’ Class AAA team last year after only five games. He hit more than 20 home runs four different times with the White Sox from 2008-2011, however, before injuries derailed his career.

    Quentin will earn $750,000 if he makes the Twins’ Opening Day roster, the source said.

    The move adds some veteran right-handed hitting power to the roster, if he makes the team, though his defensive value figures to be marginal. Quentin’s best season was 2008, when he finished fifth in MVP voting for his 36-homer, 100-RBI season in Chicago. Quentin was a first-round draft pick by the Diamondbacks out of Stanford in 2003.

Older Post

Fans have plenty of questions at TwinsFest

Newer Post

How some projections foresee payoff for Twins' build-from-within gamble