TUSCAN FAMILY ANCHOVY-GARLIC-LEMON SAUCE
Makes about 3/4 cup and doubles easily.
Note: The Tuscan side of our family does an anchovy sauce that any anchovy lover would enjoy for summer meals. The sauce keeps in the refrigerator for several days.
• 2 (2-oz.) tins anchovies packed in olive oil
• 1/3 c. minced onion
• 2 to 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves
• 2 tbsp. lemon juice, or more to taste
• 3 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
Rinse and drain anchovies. Mash them in a bowl with onion, olive oil and garlic. Stir in lemon juice, and let stand 20 minutes (this mutes the heat of the onion and garlic).
Just before using, blend in parsley. For the many uses of the sauce, see the story at left.