• SECTION 2: David McCuskey’s goal 32 seconds into overtime lifted Orono over Bloomington Kennedy 2-1. The two teams skated scoreless through two periods before Orono’s Will LeNeave scored the game’s first goal. Grant Skophammer answered for the Eagles to eventually force overtime before McCuskey sealed it on the first shot of the extra period. Orono will play Breck School, which defeated Delano 5-2, in the section final on Thursday.
• SECTION 4: Tim Kuivinen scored the double overtime game-winning goal as Mahtomedi skated past St. Paul Academy. The Zephyrs took a 1-0 lead in the second before SPA got on the scoreboard with a third-period tally. Kuivinen’s goal came at 3: 49 in the second extra frame to send Mahtomedi to the section final. … Kyle Brodt scored the game’s only goal in the third period to push Totino-Grace past South St. Paul 1-0. After two scoreless periods, the Eagles unloaded 19 shots in the third and Brodt was able to light the lamp at 8:19 to send Totino-Grace into the section final.
• SECTION 5: Brandon Gillespie scored two goals and Zachary Lambrecht tallied four points as Chisago Lakes beat Proctor 5-2. The Wildcats opened up a 3-0 lead at the end of the first period, but saw it shrink to 3-2 after the second. Lambrecht and Trevor Lushanko added third period goals to seal the victory.
• SECTION 4: Simon Sagissor scored just over three minutes into overtime as Stillwater upset White Bear Lake 2-1. Scoreless after two periods, both teams traded goals in the third period to force overtime before Sagissor netted the game-winner. The Ponies outshot the Bears 33-13.
Elks pull away
• SECTION 8: Matt Keller scored 22 and Clay Elrod added 17 as Elk River defeated Brainerd 69-53. The Elks turned a 32-29 halftime lead into a 16-point victory behind Keller’s hot hand. Elrod (seven) and Devell Miller (10) combined for 17 rebounds.
• SECTION 5: Austin Poe scored a game-high 25 points as Big Lake beat Rocori 74-53. The Hornets did most of their damage in the first half as they jumped out to a 47-25 lead. Sam Dokkebakken added and Rocori’s Brad Fabel scored a team-high 22.
• SECTION 6: Charlie Koontz’s game-high 24 points boosted Holy Angels to a victory over Minneapolis Washburn 54-45. Evan Shepherd’s 18 was a team high for Washburn. Taylor BonGiovanni added 13 for the Stars. … A trio of Wildcats scored in double digits as Waconia beat Blake 66-46. Tommy Gove (14), Jacob Herd (11) and Joey Kortuem (10) led the way for the Wildcats.
Tonka stays hot
• MINNETONKA 58, EDINA 49: The combination of Courtney Fredrickson and Hannah Hedstrom scored 29 as the Class 4A, No. 2 ranked Skippers topped the Hornets. Fredrickson finished with 15 and Hedstrom had 14 as Minnetonka won its eighth game in a row.
• WHITE BEAR LAKE 57, FOREST LAKE 44: Niki Daul’s 17 points were a game high as the Bears topped the Rangers. The Class 4A, No. 4 Bears gained an advantage early, jumping out to a 30-19 halftime lead and securing a late-season victory.
• New Richland-Hartland- Ellendale-Geneva, ranked No. 1 in the Class 2A girls’ basketball poll, defeated Fairmont 77-44 on Monday for its 55th consecutive victory. The Panthers (25-0) won their last 30 games last season en route to the Class 2A championship a year ago and are one win shy of tying the second- longest winning streak in girls’ basketball history. Rochester Lourdes won 56 consecutive games from Dec. 30, 1989 to Dec. 27, 1991. The longest winning streak belongs to Fosston at 78 games. The Panthers’ next home game is Monday in the opening round of the Section 2 tournament. Gophers recruit Carlie Wagner scored 49 points in the most recent win, giving her 930 this season. She is averaging 37.2 points per game.
• Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa’s boys’ basketball team, ranked No. 1 in Class 1A, has won 70 consecutive home games. The state record for basketball is 72 by Walnut Grove, which won 72 in a row between 1952-60. BBE is 12-0 at home this season. Its next game is at home against Royalton on Thursday in the first round of the Section 5 tournament.