This week's heavy rain did did a number on many roads in the metro area and in greater Minnesota as well, so be prepared for impromptu road closings and detours as you go about.
Bruno Mars entertains at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Xcel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul. And let's hope it stays dry for the Rock the Garden music festival at the Walker Art Center and Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.
For lovers of hotrods and classic cars, nothing beats the Back to the 50s event Friday through Sunday at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
Here in the metro we have a number of scheduled projects that will go on, weather permitting.
One that many motorist no doubt know about is the lane restrictions that went into place Wednesday on I-35E between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue. Here's the run down for anybody heading to the Mars show, the farmer's market or the State Capitol"
Southbound I-35E has been be reduced to two lanes and the following ramps shut down until mid-October:
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Hwy. 36
- Both eastbound and westbound Hwy. 36 to southbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
Northbound is still running at full strength, but it too will lose a lane sometime next week. The construction is part of a project that includes adding a MnPASS Express Lane between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue, improving the pavement on I-35E and replacing the Arlington Avenue the Wheelock Parkway, and Larpenteur Avenue and the Gateway Trail bridges.
MnDOT is continuing emergency repairs of an unsteady slope above Hwy. 13 in Mendota. The highway is closed until Tuesday from Lexington Avenue and 2nd Street. The bike trail that runs along Hwy. 13 is also closed.
No full closures are planned on I-694 at I-35W, but the eastbound drivers can expect delays from 7 p.m. Saturday to 7 a.m. Sunday. The freeway will be reduced to a single lane for pavement repair at the I-35W overpass.
Hwy. 61 in White Bear Lake is reduced to a single lane in both directions from County 96 to White Bear Avenue for a repaving project.
Work on repaving and other repairs on southbound Hwy. 65 from 81st Avenue to Medtronic Pkwy. in Fridley and Spring Lake Park continues through mid August. But a number of changes will take place at cross streets. Here is what will be closed.
- Mississippi Street on the west side of the Mississippi Street/Hwy 65 intersection through June 30.
- Osborne Road on the west side of the Osborne Road/Hwy 65 intersection through July 1.
- Northbound lanes remain open to all traffic.
Also remember that construction on a new railroad bridge has Central Avenue closed between 14th and 18th Avenues in northeast Minneapolis.
Prepare for nightly lane closings on Hwy. 10 in Coon Rapids and Anoka from Fairoak Avenue and Hanson Boulevard beginning at 6 p.m. and continuing through 5 a.m. each following morning.
CenterPoint Energy is replacing natural gas lines in downtown Minneapolis, and that will curtail parking on some streets. Here are some of the impacts:
• Intersection of 26th Avenue N. and 2nd Street N. – No traffic allowed
• 2nd Street N. from 24th Avenue N. to 26th Avenue N. - Access to local businesses to the south of intersection only
• 26th Avenue N. from 2nd Street N. to Pacific Avenue - Access to local businesses to the east of intersection only
• 26th Avenue N. from 2nd Street N. to Washington Avenue – Access to businesses to the west of intersection only.
South of the metro, I-35 is single lane both directions near Owatonna. The ramp to the Medford Outlet Mall is closed too.