HOCKEY • GIRLS
Lakeville North returns to state as Section 1 champ
• SECTION 1: Lakeville North earned its third consecutive section championship with a 6-1 victory over Dodge County at Owatonna. Alexis Joyce had two goals and an assist and Heidi Winiecki and Maddie McGlade each had a goal and two assists for the Panthers, who are ranked No. 9 in Class 2A.
• SECTION 7: Andover earned its first state tournament berth with a 3-1 victory over Elk River/Zimmerman.
• SECTION 1: Nicole Schammel had three goals and an assist to pace Red Wing to a 6-3 victory
over New Prague at Owatonna. The Wingers, ranked No. 3 in Class 1A, earned their fourth consecutive berth in the state tournament.
• SECTION 2: Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato outlasted Mankato East/Loyola 3-2 at Gustavus to earn its first section title.
• SECTION 5: Sylvie Wallin and Jordan Chancellor each had two goals and an assist to lead Blake, the defending Class 1A champion, to a 6-4 victory over Breck. Wallin scored with 5:55 remaining to break a 4-4 tie and Chancellor’s empty-net goal with 20 seconds remaining clinched the victory. Blake has won a state title in each of its past four state tournament appearances (2003, 2007, 2009 and 2013).
• SECTION 8: Haley Mack’s goal at 2:26 of the second overtime lifted East Grand Forks to a 2-1 victory over Thief River Falls at Warroad. The Green Wave, who knocked off five-time section champion Warroad 2-1 in two overtimes in the semifinals Tuesday, earned their first state tournament berth.
HOCKEY • BOYS
No. 1 Hornets top Skippers
• EDINA 3, MINNETONKA 0: Cullen Munson had a goal and an assist and Miguel Fidler had two assists to lead the Hornets, ranked No. 1 in Class 2A, past the Skippers. Andrew Rohkohl had 10 saves to earn the shutout.
BASKETBALL • BOYS
Grow, Centennial offset 26 points by Osseo’s Baker
• CENTENNIAL 66, OSSEO 64: Kevin Grow scored 21 points to help the Cougars outlast the Orioles, ranked No. 8 in Class 4A. Wheeler Baker scored 26 to lead the Orioles, who suffered their fourth consecutive loss. The four losses have been by a total of nine points.
• ST. AGNES 80, ST. CROIX PREP 74: Nick Turch had 33 points and 10 rebounds and Dante Davison had 21 points and 16 rebounds to lead the Aggies past the Lions.
BASKETBALL • GIRLS
Gayner scores 39 for D-C
• DASSEL-COKATO 84, WACONIA 71: Senior Andi Gayner scored 39 points to lead the Chargers to their sixth victory in their past seven games.
• The five finalists for the Ms. Hockey Award were announced by Let’s Play Hockey on Thursday. The finalists are Sydney Baldwin (Minnetonka), Sam Donovan (Irondale), Kelly Pannek (Benilde-St. Margaret’s), Nina Rodgers (Hopkins) and Nicole Schammel (Red Wing). The award winner will be announced Feb. 23 at the Ms. Hockey Banquet at the RiverCentre in St. Paul.
• Justin Oliver of North St. Paul was named the Gatorade Minnesota Boys’ Soccer Player of the Year. Oliver scored 39 goals to lead North St. Paul to the Class 2A championship. Oliver, an All-America selection by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, has signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Eastern Illinois.