Over the past few years our local craft beer market has grown considerably. In 2010 alone, our market produced 386 brewing jobs—providing 23.5 million dollars in wages. With this growth, opportunities have opened up for understudies to take their skills to the next level.
- Indeed brewer, Josh Bischoff, cut his teeth for years behind Mike Hoops at Town Hall Brewery.
- Also coming from Town Hall is Jamie Robinson, who recently opened Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub where he is the brewmaster and creative mind behind their offerings.
- Bob DuVernois left Great Waters Brewing Company to take his talent to Excelsior Brewing where he is making waves with some quality brews on the lake.
- Formerly with Summit Brewing Company, Horace Cunningham is now with Third Street Brewhouse out of Cold Spring, MN.
- Colin Mullen of Bent Paddle Brewing in Duluth came from Barley John’s Brew Pub and his business partner, Brian Tonnis, put his work in at Rock Bottom Brewery in Minneapolis before heading north.
- Also coming from Rock Bottom was Todd Haug, who went on to become head brewer of Surly Brewing when they opened in 2005.