Let's face it: We get only three months of beach time each year, so you'd better make it count. It's a fashion faux pas to wear the same suit day after day, but luckily there are enough swimwear styles out there right now to "suit" just about anyone. The strongest trend this summer is the return of the classic one-piece.
The early 2000s saw the apex of skimpy swimsuits, but now swimwear is moving toward a more covered-up look. These modern one-pieces are more chic and glamorous than grandmotherly and frumpy, with little updates such as side cutaways that amp up the sex appeal. Best of all, these styles tend to be the most flattering on any body type.
For Vita.mn's annual swimsuit issue, our models took to the secluded Cedar Point Beach at Cedar Lake in Minneapolis to highlight the retro trend. Other styles riding high in 2009 include classic nautical, East Coast prep, rock 'n' roll, '70s boho and '60s Pucci prints. So take your pick, and don't forget the most important part of pulling off any look: Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!
- Handmade parasol by Rebecca Sullivan ($200, available by special order to email@example.com)
- Belle Reve: 320 E. Hennepin Av., Mpls., 612-333-3148, www.belle reveboutique.com
- Cliché: 2403 Lyndale Av. S., Mpls., 612-870-0420, www.clichempls.com
- Benetton: Mall of America, 952-853-9921, www.benetton.com
- Everything But Water: Mall of America, 952-858-9563, www.everythingbutwater.com
- Lula's Vintage Wear: 1587 Selby Av., St. Paul, 651-644-4110
- Opitz Outlet: 4320 Excelsior Blvd., St. Louis Park, 952-922-2435, www.opitzoutlet.com
- Target: Various locations including 900 Nicollet Mall, Mpls., 612-338-0085, www.target.com
- Models: Ashley Van Ort and Talia Williamson of Vision Model Management
- Fashion: Jahna Peloquin
- Hair: Charlie Brackney
- Makeup: Ashley Kilcher
- Hair assistant: Emily Glass
- Location: Cedar Point Beach, Minneapolis