Sweet Potato Chile Mac
Note: From “Cooking Light Pick Fresh Cookbook,” by the editors of Cooking Light.
• 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes (about 2 lb.)
• 1 c. milk
• 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp. chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
• 3/8 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 3 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 c.)
• 8 oz. uncooked penne or macaroni pasta
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 6 oz. fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
• 1/4 c. chopped green onions
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly; peel and mash in a large bowl. Stir in milk and chile, salt, pepper and cheese.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add pasta to sweet potato mixture; set aside.
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chorizo to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Place chorizo in small bowl. Wipe pan clean. Spoon sweet potato mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with chorizo. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Sprinkle with onions and cilantro.