Lime and Chipotle Black Bean Tacos
Note: From "A Modern Way to Eat," by Anna Jones.
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
• Olive oil
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. chipotle paste or 1 red chile, finely chopped
• 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 20 cherry tomatoes
• 1/2 red chile, seeded and finely chopped
• Several sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves picked, divided
• Juice of 1 1/2 limes, divided
• 1 avocado
• 1 small apple
• Fresh leaves of cabbage or Baby Gem lettuce, shredded
• 4 radishes, sliced
• 6 to 8 wheat or corn tortillas
• Handful of grated manchego cheese
• Hot sauce and yogurt optional
• Lime wedges, optional
To prepare beans: Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add garlic and splash of olive oil, and cook for a minute or so, until edges of garlic begin to just brown. Add cinnamon, cumin and chipotle paste or chile, and stir for another minute to gently toast spices. Add beans and their liquid, bring to a simmer, then turn heat down and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until liquid has thickened but beans are still holding shape. If needed, add a little hot water to thin. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
To make salsa: Chop tomatoes roughly. Pile chile and cilantro on top, season with salt and pepper, and chop all together. Scrape into bowl, add a third of the lime juice and a splash of olive oil, and mix well.
To make guacamole: Peel avocado, remove the pit and mash in a bowl with a little salt and pepper and a third of the lime juice.
To make the salad: Chop apple into little shards and put in a bowl. Squeeze remaining third of the lime juice over the apples. Add cabbage, radishes and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and drizzle a little oil over mixture.
To prepare tortillas: If you have a gas stove, use tongs to hold tortillas over flame to give charred taste. Or wrap in foil and heat in 350-degree oven until warm.
To serve: Put beans, salad, guacamole and salsa in separate bowls on table, along with tortillas and cheese, hot sauce, yogurt and wedges of lime.