Individual Chicken Pot Pies
Note: There will be leftover puff pastry, which can be refrozen for use later. Or double the recipe and freeze more pot pies. From "Martha Stewart's Newlywed Kitchen."
• 1 (17.3-oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry, preferably all butter, thawed
• 2 tbsp. flour, plus more for surface
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
• 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
• 1 small Yukon Gold potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-in. dice
• 1 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 c. collard-green leaves, tough stems and ribs removed, coarsely chopped
• 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-in. chunks
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out 1 sheet puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Cut 2 rounds to fit individual ramekins, 1/2 inch larger all around than dishes. Cut a small X in the center of each to allow steam to vent. Refrigerate rounds on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add carrot, celery and potato. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, then broth; bring to a boil. Add greens and chicken. Simmer until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Divide mixture evenly between dishes. Top with pastry, press edges to seal and brush with egg. Bake on baking sheet until golden, about 25 minutes.