GRILLED SKIRT STEAK WITH AVOCADO- TOMATO SALSA
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 c. fresh lime juice (from about 8 limes)
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 lb. skirt steak
• 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
• 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped red onion
• 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped or 1 tbsp. store-bought spicy green salsa
• 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black peppers
• 12 medium corn tortillas, warmed
To make marinade: Combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, onion slices, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large, nonaluminum bowl, and whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning.
Place skirt steak in marinade, making sure to flatten meat out, and turn to coat all sides evenly with marinade. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
To make salsa: Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, toss together tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro, chile, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
To cook meat: Prepare grill for medium-heat. Remove steak and onion slices from marinade and grill about 3 inches from heat for 4 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Grill onion slices until lightly charred and soft. Arrange steak and onions on carving platter and thinly slice meat on diagonal. Serve with salsa and warmed tortillas.