WASHINGTON -- A St. Paul spiritual radio host received the National Humanities Medal at the White House Monday.
Krista Tippett hosts "On Being" a syndicated radio show exploring faith issues that broadcasts on more than 300 radio stations. Tippett was among a handful of artists, critics, historians and filmmakers who were honored by President Barack Obama Monday as Humanities and Medal of Arts winners.
Tippett gave an interview to the Star Tribune about her honor last week. She says she never interviews "sitting"politicians and didn't plan to press the president with any questions while in Washington today.
Among the other winners:
- M.H. Abrams, Literary Critic, Ithaca, NY
- David Brion Davis, Historian, Orange, CT
- Darlene Clark Hine, Historian, Chicago, IL
- Anne Firor Scott, Historian, Chapel Hill, NC
- William Theodore De Bary, East Asian studies scholar, Tappan, NY
- Johnpaul Jones, Architect, Bainbridge, WA
- Stanley Nelson, Filmmaker, New York, NY
- Diane Rehm, Radio Host, Washington, D.C.