In many cities and counties, a primary election Aug. 14 will determine which candidates make it onto the ballot for the Nov. 6 general election. In addition to nonpartisan local races, partisan races for the Legislature, U.S. House and U.S. Senate also will be on ballots.
For information on voter registration, where to vote, and who's on the ballot in your area, see www.startribune.com/a1568.
Major races on the ballot in the south metro ("i" denotes an incumbent; unless otherwise noted, the top two vote-getters will advance to the general election):
• Dakota County Commissioner District 1 (includes Hastings, Farmington and rural Dakota County): Dean Birnstengel; Brian Jaye Budenski; Christy Jo Fogarty; Mark A. Henry; Mike Slavik.
• Dakota County Commissioner District 5 (includes Burnsville): Peter Beckel; Dave Giles; Liz Workman (i).
• Scott County Commissioner District 1 (includes Jordan, Belle Plaine, New Prague and rural areas in the southwest): Jerry Kucera; LuAnne Lemke; Joe Wagner (i).
• Burnsville Mayor: Bill David Ansari; Elizabeth B. Kautz (i); Jerry Willenburg.
• Burnsville City Council (the top four vote-getters will advance): Rochell Ansari; James Cammarato; Steve Cherney; Richard Hoel; Bruce Johnson; Pat Madden; Suzanne Nguyen; Mary Sherry (i).
• Hastings City Council, Ward 1: Anthony "Tony" Alongi (i); Michael "Mike" Grady; Justin Westman.
• Rosemount City Council (the top four vote-getters will advance): Vanessa Olson Demuth; Maila C. Ellefson; Joe Kurle; Wade Miller; Jeff Weisensel (i); Joseph P. Zanmiller.
• West St. Paul City Council, Ward 3: Darlene Lewis (i); David Joseph Napier; Nicole Paradise; James Andrew Reibestein; Thomas Swift.