SKILLET TAMALE PIE
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: If you can't find Ro-Tel tomatoes, substitute 21/2 cups diced tomatoes plus 2 minced jalapeños. From "The Best Simple Recipes," by the editors of America's Test Kitchen.
• 10 oz. store-bought cornbread, crumbled (about 21/2 c.)
• 3 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tsp. vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
• 11/2 lb. (90 percent lean) ground beef
• 2 (16-oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 (10-oz.) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained, 1/3 c. juice reserved (see Note)
• 1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine cornbread, 11/2 cups cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl.
Heat oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook onion and chipotle until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and reserved tomato juice, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro and remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange cornbread mixture evenly over filling. Bake until cornbread is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.