Note: Curry-infused rice noodles are stir-fried with an assortment of fresh vegetables. The result is a colorful, quick and easy meal your family will love. From Meredith Deeds.
• 8 oz. dried rice vermicelli, soaked in water until pliable
• 12 small shrimp, heads removed, peeled and deveined
• 1 egg
• Pinch of salt
• 1 1/2 tbsp. low-sodium fish sauce
• 1 tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry
• 2 tsp. sugar
• 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
• 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
• 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
• 1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
• 3 c. shredded Napa cabbage
• 1 c. bean sprouts
• 1/2 c. frozen green peas
• 2 tsp. Indian curry powder
• 3 oz. slice of ham, cut into matchsticks
• Cilantro leaves, as garnish
Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat and cook the noodles until tender yet firm, about 10 seconds. Use a strainer and tongs to pick up the noodles and transfer them to a bowl. In the same water, cook the shrimp until opaque, about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with a pinch of salt and set aside.
In another small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, rice wine and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Stir-fry the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the carrot and red pepper and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and bean sprouts and continue to cook for another minute. Push vegetables to the side of the wok or skillet.
Pour the beaten egg into the hot skillet and stir until cooked and scrambled. Mix in with the vegetables. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, the noodles and peas. Sprinkle the curry powder over the top. Toss well, until all of the noodles become yellow. Add the ham, cooked shrimp, fish sauce mixture, and continue to stir-fry until the noodles are heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 285 Fat 8 g Sodium 590 mg
Carbohydrates 43 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 69 mg
Protein 11 g Cholesterol 55 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1 bread/starch, 1 other carb, ½ medium-fat meat, 1 fat.