• Ken Mauer, the NBA official and a cousin of Twins first baseman Joe Mauer, was blamed by many Cavaliers fans for Cleveland’s loss in Game 1 of the NBA Finals to the Warriors on Thursday because of the replay reversal of a charge call on Kevin Durant to a block on LeBron James. This is Mauer’s 13th NBA Finals.
• P.J. Fleck in a recent conversation about the Gophers quarterback situation may have, by omission, given an insight into why junior college quarterback Vic Viramontes left the program Saturday: “Tanner Morgan, he has gotten so much better. He’s incredibly, smart, intelligent, makes incisive decisions, tremendous leadership. But I’ll say this about Zach Anixstad, as well, he has come on strong. He’s only been here three months and it looks like he has been three years already.”
• Baseball America released an updated top 100 prospects and shortstop Royce Lewis was ranked at No. 16 overall after starting at No. 21. He was the only Twins prospect on the list.
• Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins has a quarterback rating of 94.1 on third down passes over the past three seasons, according to Pro Football Focus, that’s the 10th-best mark in the NFL.
• ESPN has a Football Power Index that projects win totals. It has the Vikings at 9.4 wins in 2018. That was the fifth-highest projection in the NFL, but it was still behind the Packers.
• Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer said he might wait until the opener to pick between veteran kicker Kai Forbath, who has made 47 of 53 field-goal attempts with the team, and fifth-round pick Daniel Carlson.
• The Gophers will get a lot of competition from Iowa for Hopkins 6-10 basketball standout Zeke Nnaji, who is getting a lot of notice. “I like [Iowa’s] style of play. Tyler Cook was a great post player and they threw it to him a lot, so I like how they play,” Nnaji told 247Sports.