• The Vikings have applied to play host to either the 2022 or the 2023 NFL draft, with a good chance they will have it at their planned Eagan facility.
• Mike Zimmer will go up against his former coaching partner in Jay Gruden on Sunday when the Vikings visit Washington. The two worked together in Cincinnati. “It was great,” Zimmer said of their time together. “He worked very hard. We always had fun competition like every day, in the spring mostly, but it was fun.”
• Stefon Diggs is from the Washington, D.C., area, and played in college at Maryland. “It’s going to be exciting, my first time coming home, having a game back home,” the second-year Vikings receiver said. “I’m not thinking about too much of a homecoming, but I’m definitely excited to see my mom and just get back to playing in my old town.”
• The Vikings’ Cordarrelle Patterson is one of six players in NFL history to score at least four kick return touchdowns, four rushing touchdowns and six receiving touchdowns.
• Mike Wallace caught 39 passes for 473 yards and two scores in 16 games for the Vikings last season, but now he is thriving in Baltimore. Through eight games he has 39 receptions for 614 yards and four scores, including a 95-yarder.
• Three-sport standout Ryan Duffy of South St. Paul signed a letter of intent to play baseball for the Gophers. Duffy is the quarterback on the Packers football team and also wrestles.
• Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter is one of two NFL players, along with Brandon Graham of the Eagles, with at least four sacks, one pass deflection, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery this season.
• Jim Brower, former Minnetonka High School, Gophers and major league pitcher, has been part of back-to-back World Series-winning organizations. He was a minor league pitching coach for the Royals in 2015 and filled that same role for the Cubs this season.