RJ’s Five Spot
This week: Coaches on the rise
1. Scott Frost, Central Florida: Frost, the 42-year-old former Nebraska quarterback, has No. 18 Central Florida in the hunt for the Group of Five’s spot in a New Year’s Six bowl game. His old Cornhuskers are 3-4 and might be shopping for a new coach. You do the math.
2. Matt Campbell, Iowa State: The Cyclones are 5-2 and ranked No. 25, so Campbell, 37, is winning where it isn’t easy. Iowa State owns an upset over then-No. 3 Oklahoma and an overtime near-miss vs. Iowa. Should the Cyclones beat No. 4 TCU on Saturday, they’ll sit atop the Big 12.
3. Mike Norvell, Memphis: The No. 24 Tigers (6-1) have a win over UCLA, and their only loss is to Central Florida. Norvell, 36, is a former Arizona State offensive coordinator who’s 14-6 in two years in Memphis.
4. Chad Morris, SMU: Morris, 48, has the Mustangs off two a 5-2 start, and his name has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Butch Jones at Tennessee.
5. Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State: Satterfield, 44, has a Sun Belt title under his belt and has the Mountaineers atop the conference again. He’s a former Appalachian State QB, but with a small salary of $675,000, he could be lured away.