NORTH ST. PAUL-MAPLEWOOD- OAKDALE

A new community garden will open this spring near Cowern Elementary School, and the garden's leadership committee is now seeking community members who want to help the 6,800-square-foot garden grow.

The garden, at the intersection of Margaret St. N. and Eldridge Av., was planned by a committee of District 622 staff along with community members. To participate, community members have several options:

• Families or individuals can purchase 10-by-10 garden plots for $30 each.

• Individuals can work with other gardeners in a 1,725-square-foot community plot for $20. About 60 percent of the harvest will go to local food shelves, etc., while the remaining 40 percent will be divided among the gardeners.

• Residents can adopt one of the perennial gardens currently on the site.

• Residents can work to restore the orchard.

Money collected will be used to pay water, fencing and garden start-up costs. The garden will open for planting on May 1. To reserve a plot, or sign up for a class, visit www.isd622.org/communitygarden or call 651-748-7437.

North, Tartan students tour black colleges

Thirty students from North and Tartan high schools visited several historically black colleges and universities last week during spring break. The prospective college students visited schools in Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina. They also stopped at the Cincinnati Underground Railroad Museum along the way. The students blogged about their travels at northtartancollege.blogspot.com.

STILLWATER

District to conduct community survey

More than 400 households in the Stillwater School District will be randomly called as part of a telephone survey Monday. Residents will be asked to share their opinions about issues facing the school system, including school funding, instructional programs and overall school management.

FOREST LAKE

Century student wins volunteer award

Hayden Oliver, 13, an eighth-grader at Century Junior High School was recently honored as the top junior high school volunteer in the state. Oliver was presented with the Prudential Spirit of Community Award on March 3. He will now be entered into the national competition.

Oliver, in an effort to become an Eagle Scout, created a floating dock on the pond next to Century Junior High School. Oliver raised $5,000 and was assisted by 340 volunteers who spent about 250 hours working on the project.

DAAREL BURNETTE II