St. Thomas dynasty continues
Swimming and diving
• TRUE TEAM STATE-1A: For the 10th year in a row, the St. Thomas Academy was crowned the boys’ small-school true team champion. More than 600 points separating the Cadets from the second place team. Leading the way for the Cadets was junior Sam Johanns, who took first in the 50-yard freestyle in 22.24 seconds and the 100 backstroke in 52.82. He also swam the first leg of the winning 200 medley relay that finished in 1:39.88, and then anchored the winning 400 freestyle relay that finished in 3:17.39. Michael Modica of Simley took first in both the 200 and 500 freestyle in 1:48.14 and 4:54.63, respectively.
• 2A: Eden Prairie was looking to win its third consecutive true team title until Lake Conference rival Minnetonka stepped in. The Skippers edged out Stillwater for first place thanks to performances by the 200 freestyle relay, which took second in 1:28.73, and the 400 yard freestyle relay, which won in 3:14.59. Matt Hedmann from Anoka took first in the 200 individual medley in 1:56.32, and first in the 500 free style in 4:41.82.
• BRECK 6, ST. THOMAS ACADEMY 3: The Mustangs scored four shorthanded goals, the first two and the last two on the same power plays, to snap the Cadets’ four-game winning streak in a nonconference game. Michael Orke scored the final two shorthanded goals and finished with a hat trick and an assist. The Cadets outshot the Class 1A, No. 5 Mustangs 38-27 and were only sent to the penalty box two times compared to the Mustangs’ seven trips. Peter Tufto had three points and Tom Novak had two goals for the Cadets, rated No. 11 in Class 2A. Henry Johnson had 35 saves for Breck.
• ORONO 5, HUTCHINSON 2: The Spartans jumped out to a 5-0 lead by the third period and held on to pick up their eighth win in nine games. Jake Flemmer led the Spartans with three points while teammate Will Dittrich scored two goals. Matthew Cowger had two points for the Tigers.
• ST. CLOUD CATHEDRAL 5, TOTINO-GRACE 4: Will Hammer scored four goals for the Crusaders in their upset over the Class 1A, No. 6 Eagles in St. Cloud. Totino-Grace pulled to within one after Kai Barber’s second goal of the third period, but the Crusaders were able to hold on for their fourth win in a row. Chandler Nauman recorded two assists for the Eagles, whose five-game winning streak ended.
• BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 2, BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 1: David Johnson made 43 saves as the Eagles held off the Jaguars in the intra-city rivalry. Hank Roers and Jory McWilliams each tallied goals for Kennedy.
Snodgrass’ hat trick leads Eastview
• EASTVIEW 5, BURNSVILLE 3: Natalie Snodgrass scored a goal in each period and also had an assist to lead the Lightning to a South Suburban Conference upset over the Class 2A, No. 14 Blaze. Teammate Liz Palmi had three points. Paige Skaja scored for the Blaze at 15:28 of the first period to tie the score 1-1, but the Lightning answered with three consecutive goals.
• WAYZATA 3, BUFFALO 2: Paige Sorensen scored at 5:47 of the second period to break a 1-1 tie and give the Trojans the lead for good. Sophia Shaver led Class 2A, No. 7 Wayzata with two points. Paige Blizil led the Bison with two points. The victory ended a five-game losing streak for the Trojans.
• STILLWATER 4, PARK OF COTTAGE GROVE 3: With less than two minutes left and the score tied at 3-all, Taylor Naugle’s goal gave the Class 2A, No. 12 Ponies the Suburban East Conference victory. Sierra Smith scored two goals for Stillwater, which outshot the Wolfpack 38-16. Maria Houle finished with three points for Park while Paige Press had 34 saves.