Michigan State takes over first place
• MICHIGAN STATE 3, WISCONSIN 0: By finishing a sweep of the lowly Badgers, the host Spartans leapt over the Gophers and Michigan — who both lost Saturday — to take first place in the conference race going into the last weekend of the regular season. Michigan State has 34 points, one more than the two teams it passed. Matt Berry’s unassisted goal, at 1:42 of the second period, gave the Spartans (16-14-2, 10-6-2-2 Big Ten) a 1-0 lead. Jake Hildebrand had 38 shots for the shutout.
• PENN STATE 4, MICHIGAN 3: David Goodwin had a goal and three assists for the Nittany Lions (18-12-4, 10-7-1) who swept the No. 16 Wolverines. Michigan (19-13, 11-7) came into the road series in first place in the conference. Erik Autio’s goal in the 14th minute of the second period gave Penn State a 3-2 lead.
• MIAMI 6, NORTH DAKOTA 3: Austin Czarnik had a hat trick as the No. 5 RedHawks (21-12-1, 14-9-1-1) defeated No. 1 UND (25-7-3, 16-6-2) to split their series in Oxford, Ohio.
• WESTERN MICHIGAN 3, MINNESOTA DULUTH 0: Defenseman Chris Dienes had the first goal as the Broncos (13-16-5, 6-13-5-4) beat the No. 6 Bulldogs (20-13-3, 12-9-3).
• MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 3, BEMIDJI STATE 0: The second-ranked Mavericks (25-7-3, 21-4-3 WCHA) beat the Beavers (16-15-5, 12-11-5) to clinch their first MacNaughton Cup. Brett Knowles got MSU Mankato’s first goal in the seventh minute and Stephon Williams had 18 saves for the shutout.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 4, DENVER 2: Jonny Brodzinski had two goals and an assist to lead the host Huskies (16-17-1, 11-12-1) over the No. 7 Pioneers (20-12-2, 13-10-1-1).