RJ’s Five Spot This week: Update on local connections
Midway through the season, here’s how five prominent Minnesotans are faring at teams in Power Five conferences:
1. JD Spielman, WR/KR, Nebraska: The redshirt sophomore from Eden Prairie returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown on his first collegiate touch. Since then, he’s kept it going with 31 receptions for 475 yards (a 15.3-yard average), including 11 catches for 200 yards (with a 77-yard TD) against Ohio State last week. He’s averaging 27.9 yards on kickoff returns.
2. Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas: The senior from Chanhassen has been plugging along for the Razorbacks, who have struggled to a 2-4 record. A preseason candidate for the Outland and Rimington trophies, Ragnow has started six games at center but will move to right guard Saturday against No. 21 Auburn in a line shakeup.
3. Ryan Connelly, LB, Wisconsin: The junior from Eden Prairie is a key backup for the No. 5 Badgers. In six games, he has 28 tackles and 1½ tackles for loss.
4. Jashon Cornell, DT, Ohio State: The third-year sophomore and former Cretin-Derham Hall standout is a backup on a stacked defensive line for the No. 6 Buckeyes. He has played in seven games and has nine tackles, two sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss.
5. J.C. Hassenauer, G/C, Alabama: The senior and former East Ridge standout is the backup at right guard and center for the No. 1 Crimson Tide. He has played in three games, including nine snaps against Ragnow and Arkansas last week.