TOFU CURRY WITH MUSTARD GREENS
Serves 6 to 8.
Note: Adapted from “Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean and Southern Flavors Remixed,” by Bryant Terry.
• 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained/patted dry, then cut into 1/2-in. cubes
• 3 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 3/4 tsp. fine sea salt, plus more as needed
• 1/4 tsp. mustard seed
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
• 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
• 1/2 tsp. chile powder
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
• 1 tbsp. chunky peanut butter
• 14 oz. canned diced no-salt-added tomatoes, with juices
• 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
• 3 c. homemade or no-salt-added vegetable broth
• 12 oz. mustard greens, stemmed and cut into bite-size pieces
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the tofu, 2 teaspoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Gently toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet, spreading the tofu in a single layer. Roast until the tofu feels even firmer, about 30 minutes, turning the cubes over about halfway through.
Meanwhile, pour remaining 3 tablespoons oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until they pop, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, chile powder, black pepper and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt; cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter until well incorporated, then stir in the tomatoes and their juices, jalapeño, broth, mustard greens and bay leaves. Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Gently stir in the roasted tofu and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Taste, and season with more salt and black pepper, if desired. Serve hot, garnished with the cilantro.
Nutrition information per each of 8 servings:
Calories 156 Fat 11 g Sodium 306 mg
Carbohydrates 10 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 169 mg
Protein 8 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 3 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, ½ medium-fat meat, 1 ½ fat.