Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Note: A handwritten version of Audrey Hepburn’s recipe is pictured in “Audrey at Home,” by Luca Dotti.
• 2 anchovy fillets
• 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for finishing
• Handful black olives, coarsely chopped
• Handful green olives, coarsely chopped
• 12 salted capers, rinsed and left whole
• 1 garlic clove, cut in half
• Crushed red pepper flakes, or splash of Tabasco to taste
• 1 (14-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 lb. spaghetti or linguine
• 6 fresh basil leaves, shredded
In large sauté pan over high heat, cook anchovies with the oil, then add the olives, capers, garlic and red pepper flakes. Briefly sauté for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes, crushing them with a wooden spoon. Let the sauce cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it forms a dense purée, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat, leaving sauce in pan.
In large pot, cook pasta in abundant boiling, salted water. Drain pasta when it is al dente; add pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss, over high heat, to incorporate. Remove pan from heat, drizzle on a bit of olive oil and basil, and serve.