Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Mango-Cilantro Slaw √
Serves 8 (2 tacos each).
Note: Creamy coleslaw, made slightly sweet with the addition of mango, makes the perfect foil for the grilled lime- and chipotle-marinated shrimp in these lively tacos. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are sold in a can at the supermarket. From Meredith Deeds.
• 4 tbsp. lime juice, divided
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (see Note)
• 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
• 1 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled
• 1/4 c. low-fat sour cream
• 2 tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
• 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced, optional
• Zest of 1 lime
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 4 c. shredded green cabbage
• 1 c. shredded red cabbage
• 1 mango, peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
• 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, torn
• 16 (6-in.) corn tortillas
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 16 slices
• Lime wedges
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons lime juice, olive oil, chipotle pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate, chilled, for 20 minutes. Skewer the shrimp. (If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes beforehand.)
While the shrimp are marinating, make the slaw dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, jalapeño, lime zest, 2 tablespoons lime juice, sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cabbages, mango and cilantro and toss gently to coat. Set aside.
Preheat the grill (medium-high heat).
Cook shrimp 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until they are pink and just cooked through. Grill the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side, then place inside a paper bag to keep warm.
To serve, pull the shrimp off the skewers and divide them evenly among the tortillas. Top with the slaw and a slice of avocado and serve with extra lime slices.
Nutrition information per serving of 2 tacos:
Calories 245 Fat 6 g Sodium 600 mg
Carbohydrates 36 g Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 114 mg
Protein 14 g Cholesterol 90 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, ½ fruit, 1 ½ bread/starch, 1 lean meat, ½ fat.