Sheet Pan Chili
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Note: We found that a shovel-type spatula with a flat edge works well for stirring and serving the chili in the pan. Veggie crumbles give this oven-roasted chili a hearty texture, but you can leave them out. There’s a fair amount of fine chopping here; you can use a food processor. Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips, or spoon it over macaroni and cheese. Adapted from “Sheet Pan Suppers Meatless: 100 Surprising Vegetarian Meals Straight From the Oven,” by Raquel Pelzel.
• 1 medium red onion, finely chopped (1 c.)
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp. kosher salt, or more as needed, divided
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed and seeded; 1 finely chopped, the other cut into 3/4-in. pieces
• 2 medium green bell peppers, stemmed and seeded; 1 finely chopped, the other cut into 3/4-in. pieces
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp. Spanish smoked paprika (pimentón; sweet or hot)
• 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
• 26 oz. (3 1/4 c.) canned, no-salt-added chopped tomatoes, and their juices
• About 11 oz. (3 c.) crumbled tempeh or veggie crumbles, such as Morning Star Farms brand, optional
• 1 (15-oz.) can no-salt-added black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 c. water
• 1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro
• Chopped avocado, for serving
• Thinly sliced green onions, for serving
• Shredded cheese, for serving, optional
• Sour cream, for serving, optional
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Toss the red onion with the oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast (middle rack) until the onion is soft and just starting to brown, about 12 minutes.
Add the finely chopped red and green bell peppers (reserve the 3/4-inch pieces), the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and cook until the peppers are soft, about 10 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and add the tomatoes, tempeh or veggie crumbles, if using, the black beans, the 3/4-inch bell pepper pieces, 1 cup water and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring gently to incorporate.
Carefully cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil, crimping it loosely around the edges; it’s good to use oven mitts for this. Roast (middle rack) for about 45 minutes, stirring midway through the cooking, until the large pepper pieces are tender and the pan liquid has reduced somewhat. Taste and add more salt, as needed.
Divide among bowls; serve warm, topped with cilantro and serve with toppings of your choice.