Pizza on the Grill
Makes 2 (12-inch) pizzas.
Note: You can certainly use any store-bought unbaked dough, such as that sold in most food co-ops. But this dough comes together in a flash. You can prepare it a few hours ahead and then hold it in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Remove the dough, allow it to rise and proceed with the recipe. From Beth Dooley.
• 2 1/3 to 3 c. bread or all-purpose flour, divided
• 2 tsp. sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 pkg. regular yeast
• 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 c. very warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup of the flour with the sugar, salt and yeast. Add the oil and warm water. Beat with wooden spoon until all is dissolved. Stir in enough of the flour to make a soft dough that leaves the side of the bowl.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 to 8 minutes until the dough is smooth and springy. It should have the texture of an earlobe. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes. Divide the dough in half. Place a half onto a floured board and pat into a 12-inch circle. Set aside and repeat with second half.
While the dough is resting, place a pizza stone on a gas or charcoal grill and preheat to 500 degrees. Gently slide the dough onto the stone. Scatter the topping over the pizza dough. Close the grill lid and bake until the dough has a formed a firm, browned, blistered crust. Remove and repeat with the second dough.
Suggested toppings for each 12-inch crust:
• 1 c. sliced cherry tomatoes
• 1/4 c. sliced mixed kalamata and black olives
• 1/4 c. torn mozzarella cheese
• 2 to 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 to 3 tbsp. chopped basil
• 2 to 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
• Drizzle of good extra-virgin olive oil (about 1 tsp.)
• Pinch of flaked or coarse salt
• Few grinds black pepper
More suggestions (use any of these together or with several of the options above):
• 1/4 c. chopped salami
• 1/4 c. diced onions
• 1 c. torn fresh spinach
• 1/4 c. crumbled feta cheese
• 1/4 c. chevre
• 1/2 c. sautéed eggplant
• 1/2 c. sautéed mushrooms
• 1/4 c. leftover shredded chicken
• 1/4 c. leftover cooked, crumbled bacon