Mushroom and Poblano Tacos
Note: Sautéed mushrooms, combined with poblano chiles in a smoky chipotle sauce, make a satisfying meat-free filling for these addictive tacos. From Meredith Deeds.
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
• 1 medium onion, finely diced
• 2 poblano chiles, seeded and diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 c. canned crushed tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
• 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce (from can), minced
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 12 corn tortillas, warmed
• 1/2 c. crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
• 1/4 c. sour cream or Mexican crema
• 1/4 c. fresh cilantro
• 3 tbsp. toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
• Lime wedges
Heat oil in a 12-inch stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have browned. Add onions and poblanos, and continue to cook, tossing and stirring occasionally until softened, about 6 minutes.
Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, chipotle chile, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, for a minute.
Serve immediately with warm tortillas, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, pepitas and lime wedges.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 260 Fat 13 g Sodium 530 mg
Carbohydrates 29 g Saturated fat 4 g Total sugars 4 g
Protein 8 g Cholesterol 15 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 ½ starch, ½ carb, ½ high-fat protein, 2 fat.