GRILLED TUNA WITH CURRIED TOMATOES AND OKRA
Note: From Jay Sparks of 510 Restaurant in Minneapolis. From the Oct. 5, 1988, issue of Taste.
• 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1/2 c. white wine
• 1/4 c. fish stock or clam juice
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp. minced shallot
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for tuna
• 1/4 tsp. curry powder
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 12 fresh okra pods, quartered lengthwise
• 2 (8-oz.) yellowfin tuna steaks
• 1 tsp. finely chopped parsley
• 1/2 tsp. finely chopped mint
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat grill. In a sauté pan, combine tomatoes, wine, fish stock (or clam juice), garlic and shallots. Place over medium-high heat and cook until most of liquid is reduced. Reduce heat to low and add 1/4 cup olive oil, curry powder, cayenne, salt and okra and slowly simmer.
Meanwhile, lightly brush both sides of tuna with olive oil and place on a very hot grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side (time will depend upon thickness of steak). Do not overcook.
As tuna is finishing, add parsley, mint and lemon juice to sauce. Stir briefly and spoon sauce onto plates. Top with tuna steaks and serve with sautéed potatoes tossed with fresh lemon zest.