Fennel and Red Pepper Salad With Yogurt Dressing
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: This tangy dressing is great on chicken or lamb and makes a fine vegetable dip. It will keep up to 3 days in a covered jar in the refrigerator. From Beth Dooley.
• 2 large fennel bulbs, stems and fronds separated and reserved
• 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined and diced
• 6 green onions, white part, thinly sliced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 c. plain yogurt (whole milk preferred)
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
• Generous pinch of sugar to taste
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Slice the fennel bulb in half lengthwise, then into half-moons crosswise and place in a medium bowl. Toss in the diced red pepper and green onions.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the garlic, yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad. Serve garnished with the fennel fronds and ground black pepper.
Nutrition information per each of 6 servings:
Calories 99 Fat 5 g Sodium 60 mg
Carbohydrates 11 g Saturated fat 1 g Total sugars 7 g
Protein 3 g Cholesterol 3 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.