ASIAN CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Note: Hoisin sauce is the Asian answer to BBQ sauce. Look for it in the Asian aisle of your grocery store.
• 2 tsp. vegetable oil
• 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
• 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
• 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce (see Note)
• 1 head Boston bibb lettuce leaves, separated, cleaned and dried
• 2 carrots, shredded
• 1/2 c. fresh bean sprouts
• 1/4 c. chopped peanuts, optional
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil and sauté chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and hoisin and cook for 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and serve warm wrapped in lettuce leaves with carrots, bean sprouts, peanuts and green onions on the side for garnish.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 185 Fat 9 g Saturated fat 2 g Sodium 470 mg
Carbohydrates 10 g Calcium 43 mg
Protein 16 g Cholesterol 65 mg Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.