The Gophers might have gotten their first commitment for 2013 yesterday, but there’s still plenty more to focus on in the recruiting season, both for next year and beyond. Just a few notes from this week of action:
- Minnesota had three official visitors this past weekend: Alvin Ellis (Chicago), Alex Foster (Chicago) and Tory Miller (Missouri).
- Of course Ellis committed. More on that soon. And according to Gopherhole.com, Foster narrowed his list to Minnesota, Auburn and Tennessee.
- While the Gophers were busy getting Ellis locked down, another local committed elsewhere. After visiting NC State over the weekend, Champlin-native Kyle Washington committed to the Wolfpack. Washington had previously edited his list to not include the Gophers.
- According to RecruitLists.com, both Syracuse and Louisville will be at Robbinsdale Cooper to watch Rashad Vaughn (2014) this Wednesday. As you’ll recall, Louisville was supposed to be there last week. If they’re really coming back so soon, they must really like Vaughn. The shooting guard was offered on Friday by Kentucky after John Calipari visited last week.
- Local blogger/tweeter TC Hoops Czar indicated that Grand Rapids star Alex Illikainen (2015) could be getting some interest from Kansas and could be getting a visit soon. Illikainen already has seven offers, including Minnesota. He visited Oregon this weekend.
- Tyus Jones (2014, Apple Valley), the desire of nearly every big-name school around the country attended the Gophers football win over Syracuse on Saturday night.
- Edina point guard Graham Woodward picked up another offer – from Penn State – this weekend. The Gophers have shown interest but haven’t offered Woodward yet. Woodward will do his official at Penn State next weekend.
- Nigel Hayes, a 2013 recruit from Toledo will make an official visit at Stanford this weekend. Hayes’ top four schools right now are: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Stanford and Ohio State.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Orono three-star power forward Jarvis Thomas received a scholarship offer from the home state Gophers after his unofficial visit Wednesday
Gophers 2018 target and DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur took an unofficial visit Monday to see the Gophers' facilities.
Freshman guard Isaiah Washington will make his local debut on a team with All-Big Ten forward Jordan Murphy. Nate Mason and Amir Coffey are teammates and Apple Valley star Tre Jones has two Minnesota teammates.
The four-star freshman from New York City and reserve transfer from Louisville are the last two members of the basketball team to arrive in the Twin Cities.
The Gophers will host Miami (Fla.) at Williams Arena in November in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge for men's basketball, the conference announced Thursday