A glimpse of what’s been going on this week:
- One of the 2013 recruits the Gophers are going after hard, Nigel Hayes, just completed his final planned official visit at Ohio State this weekend. Hayes has taken four, total: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford and Ohio State, which he has said represents his short list.
- Alex Foster visited Auburn over the weekend. He will head to Tennessee tomorrow.
- Power 2014 recruits Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor have said they will be unofficially visiting Duke together this weekend and attending the Blue Devils’ Midnight Madness.
- Nothing new: 2014 star recruit Rashad Vaughn picked up another offer according to Rivals’ Ryan James: from N.C. State. This makes 23 offers for him. Jerry Meyer, from 247sports.com said Tennessee was around to watch Vaughn last Thursday.
- Local recruits Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake, Wisc., 2015) and Amir Coffey (Hopkins, 2016) were invited to USA’s mini-camp at the U.S. Olympic training Center and the pair have been receiving high praise by those who have watched.
- James reported that Minnesota (10/3) and Purdue (10/4) were in gym to watch Ellenson this week.
- FoxSportsNEXT.com (formerly Scout.com) reported that Chris Perry, a recruit whom the Gophers had their eye on (but hadn’t offered) committed to South Florida last week.
- Rumor is Oregon and Kansas will be in Grand Rapids to watch 2015 recruit Alex Illikainen today.
- Sterling Brown, a 2013 guard the Gophers have offered, will be visiting Missouri this weekend.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino talked to fans Monday about high expectations for his team coming off a 24-win and NCAA tournament season
Former Gophers center Jonathan Williams provided guidance for Orono junior Jarvis Thomas, who is now a major-college prospect and dunking sensation
Juniors Gabe Kalscheur, Tre Jones and Gophers commit Daniel Oturu have led Howard Pulley's AAU team to 17 consecutive wins
Coach Richard Pitino that Mason has been doing some standstill shooting drills, but that the hip injury suffered against Middle Tennessee State "was a lot worse injury than even I thought it was."
Gophers point guard recruit Isaiah "Jelly" Washington wins three-point contest and scores 25 points at all-star game in Long Beach, Calif.