Big Ten power rankings
Randy Johnson ranks ’em:
1. Penn State (6-0, 3-0 Big Ten): Schedule gets serious with No. 19 Michigan, No. 6 Ohio State and No. 18 Michigan State, in order. Last week: 1.
2. Ohio State (6-1, 4-0): Fresh off steamrolling Nebraska, Buckeyes have week off before visit from Penn State in Big Ten game of the year. Last week: 2.
3. Wisconsin (6-0, 3-0): The way the Badgers are rolling, they could have the Big Ten West wrapped up by early November. Next three opponents are Maryland, Illinois and Indiana. Last week: 3.
4. Michigan State (5-1, 3-0): Spartans sure know how to win the close games. Last three victories were by seven, four and three points. Last week: 4.
5. Michigan (5-1, 2-1): The Wolverines are 4-4 in their past eight games against Power Five opponents, and now they go to Happy Valley. Last week: 5.
6. Iowa (4-2, 1-2): Hawkeyes travel to Northwestern for swing game in Big Ten West. Last week: 6.
7. Purdue (3-3, 1-2): Boilermakers showed fight against Wisconsin. Upcoming three-game stretch of Rutgers, Nebraska and Illinois could set them up well. Last week: 7.
8. Northwestern (3-3, 1-2): Win at Maryland was solid, but Wildcats now face Iowa and Michigan State back to back. Last week: 11.
9. Maryland (3-3, 1-2): The only job more dangerous than being Maryland’s quarterback is being Spinal Tap’s drummer. Terps might need fourth-stringer soon. Last week: 8.
10. Gophers (3-3, 0-3): If ever the Gophers needed a visit from Illinois, the time is now. Last week: 10.
11. Indiana (3-3, 0-3): Hoosiers gave valiant effort in OT loss to Michigan, but trip to Michigan State will be more difficult. Last week: 12.
12. Nebraska (3-4, 2-2): The mood in Lincoln is somber after the Huskers absorbed that beating from Ohio State. Last week: 9.
13. Rutgers (2-4, 1-2): These are the Knights who say “nay” to the Big Ten basement after beating Illinois. Last week: 14
14. Illinois (2-4, 0-3): There doesn’t appear to be a win for the Illini on their rest of their schedule. Last week: 13.