Is it good or bad to end on a nail-biter (with a mid-major team) – right before Big Ten play?
If it hurts your confidence, it can be damaging.
But if the Gophers see this as eye-opening about just how much better they need to be – well, that can be a good thing.
We’ll discuss that idea more before the Dec. 27 tipoff at Illinois, but for now, I’ll leave you with a few notes from tonight:
- Maverick Ahanmisi started for Andre Hollins again tonight – but after the game Tubby Smith made it clear Hollins wasn’t still hurting from his turned ankle and that Ahanmisi had just earned a new role. “He’s fine,” Smith said of Hollins. “But what am I going to do? I’m not taking Maverick out of the lineup."
- Ahanmisi had a career game, scoring 13 points and adding three assists and three rebounds.
- The Gophers – as they often have – got out to a slow start, but even more so than usual. The Bison led 14-2 seven minutes in.
- Both Rodney Williams and Ralph Sampson III had strong games contributed 14 points and eight rebounds and 15 points and six rebounds, respectively.
- The Gophers were way out-rebounded tonight – NDSU finished with 39 to the Gophers’ 28.
- NDSU coach Saul Phillips said he’d like to bring the Gophers up to the Fargo dome one of these days to play. “I’d cook for them,” he offered. Smith’s response? “That’s not going to be enough. Is he going to cook Bison meat or something?”
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Orono three-star power forward Jarvis Thomas received a scholarship offer from the home state Gophers after his unofficial visit Wednesday
Gophers 2018 target and DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur took an unofficial visit Monday to see the Gophers' facilities.
Freshman guard Isaiah Washington will make his local debut on a team with All-Big Ten forward Jordan Murphy. Nate Mason and Amir Coffey are teammates and Apple Valley star Tre Jones has two Minnesota teammates.
The four-star freshman from New York City and reserve transfer from Louisville are the last two members of the basketball team to arrive in the Twin Cities.
The Gophers will host Miami (Fla.) at Williams Arena in November in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge for men's basketball, the conference announced Thursday