Is it good or bad to end on a nail-biter (with a mid-major team) – right before Big Ten play?
If it hurts your confidence, it can be damaging.
But if the Gophers see this as eye-opening about just how much better they need to be – well, that can be a good thing.
We’ll discuss that idea more before the Dec. 27 tipoff at Illinois, but for now, I’ll leave you with a few notes from tonight:
- Maverick Ahanmisi started for Andre Hollins again tonight – but after the game Tubby Smith made it clear Hollins wasn’t still hurting from his turned ankle and that Ahanmisi had just earned a new role. “He’s fine,” Smith said of Hollins. “But what am I going to do? I’m not taking Maverick out of the lineup."
- Ahanmisi had a career game, scoring 13 points and adding three assists and three rebounds.
- The Gophers – as they often have – got out to a slow start, but even more so than usual. The Bison led 14-2 seven minutes in.
- Both Rodney Williams and Ralph Sampson III had strong games contributed 14 points and eight rebounds and 15 points and six rebounds, respectively.
- The Gophers were way out-rebounded tonight – NDSU finished with 39 to the Gophers’ 28.
- NDSU coach Saul Phillips said he’d like to bring the Gophers up to the Fargo dome one of these days to play. “I’d cook for them,” he offered. Smith’s response? “That’s not going to be enough. Is he going to cook Bison meat or something?”
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
Big Ten Network announced its television schedule for nonconference games Wednesday, including four Minnesota home games
Armstrong junior Race Thompson is being heavily recruited by his dad's alma mater, Minnesota, and several Division I basketball programs after a breakout summer
Cristo Rey Jesuit forward Jericho Sims, one of Minnesota's top recruiting targets, received a scholarship offer from Kansas on Monday.
Former Gophers point guard Kevin Dorsey, who was suspended at the end of last season, denied a report that he will transfer to Colorado State.
Gophers assistant coach Nate Pomeday leaves to oversee men's basketball for the American Athletic Conference
Recommended For You
Amy Klobuchar is among several senators criticizing sharp price rise for product she calls a 'life preserver' for millions.
It may not be like Elvis Presley's Graceland, but Prince's Paisley Park could open as a museum on Oct. 6, in time for his memorial concert a week later, the trustees for his estate announced Wednesday afternoon. Fans could pay $38.50 to $100 or more for a 70-minute tour.
St. Anthony officials drew widespread protests over his recent reinstatement.
With state aid in balance, city is looking at cuts or a 7 percent tax levy hike.