Is it good or bad to end on a nail-biter (with a mid-major team) – right before Big Ten play?
If it hurts your confidence, it can be damaging.
But if the Gophers see this as eye-opening about just how much better they need to be – well, that can be a good thing.
We’ll discuss that idea more before the Dec. 27 tipoff at Illinois, but for now, I’ll leave you with a few notes from tonight:
- Maverick Ahanmisi started for Andre Hollins again tonight – but after the game Tubby Smith made it clear Hollins wasn’t still hurting from his turned ankle and that Ahanmisi had just earned a new role. “He’s fine,” Smith said of Hollins. “But what am I going to do? I’m not taking Maverick out of the lineup."
- Ahanmisi had a career game, scoring 13 points and adding three assists and three rebounds.
- The Gophers – as they often have – got out to a slow start, but even more so than usual. The Bison led 14-2 seven minutes in.
- Both Rodney Williams and Ralph Sampson III had strong games contributed 14 points and eight rebounds and 15 points and six rebounds, respectively.
- The Gophers were way out-rebounded tonight – NDSU finished with 39 to the Gophers’ 28.
- NDSU coach Saul Phillips said he’d like to bring the Gophers up to the Fargo dome one of these days to play. “I’d cook for them,” he offered. Smith’s response? “That’s not going to be enough. Is he going to cook Bison meat or something?”
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Former Dayton recruit and Champlin Park senior point guard McKinley Wright announced his commitment to Colorado on Friday.
Four-star forward Jake Forrester from Harrisburg, Pa. says he received a scholarship offer from the Gophers on Monday
Apple Valley 2018 standout Tre Jones talked Gophers facilities and recruiting during his big opening AAU weekend with Howard Pulley at Nike EYBL in Hampton, Va.
Gophers commit Daniel Oturu starts Nike EYBL season Friday in Hampton, Va.; Richard Pitino and staff begin the open recruiting period.
Future Gophers teammates Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris played one another Friday in the Jordan Classic regional game in Washington D.C.