• CONCORDIA (ST. PAUL) 66, MINNESOTA DULUTH 53: The Golden Bears handed the Bulldogs their first home loss of the season. Rachel Hansen led four double-digit scorers for the Golden Bears (10-5, 8-3) with 19 points, including 13-for-14 on free throws. She played all 40 minutes.
• WINONA STATE 78, BEMIDJI STATE 41: Becca Friestleben's 31 points -- including a school-record nine three-pointers -- led the Warriors (13-5, 7-4), who held visiting Bemidji State (7-8, 3-8) to 27 percent shooting.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 69, WINONA STATE 65: Rachael Moen scored 15 points, including two free throws with 6 seconds left that helped the host Huskies (12-3, 8-3) outlast the 20th-ranked Mavericks (11-4, 7-4). Aubrey Davis scored 13 for Winona State.
• NORTHERN STATE 64, SW MINNESOTA STATE 46: The Wolves (11-4, 7-4) were led by Rachel Krogman's 19 points in Aberdeen, S.D.
UPPER MIDWEST WOMEN
• MINNESOTA MORRIS 87, NORTHWESTERN 46: Emily Mehr scored 33 points for the host Cougars (5-7, 4-0) in a battle of Upper Midwest unbeatens. Chanel Madson's 17 points led Northwestern (8-7, 3-1).
More from Star Tribune
More From Sports
On the court, CoCo Vandeweghe is all bluster and bravado, an all-or-nothing ball striker with a booming forehand who compares herself to a freight train and shrugs (literally) when she upsets the top player in the world.
It was a long time coming for Venus Williams, who reached her 21st Grand Slam semifinal but her first at the Australian Open in 14 years.
France Davis Cup captain Yannick Noah has left Gael Monfils out of his squad to play against Japan in the first round of the Davis Cup.
The Latest on Tuesday from the Australian Open (all times local):
Jordan Thompson will make his debut for Australia when the team takes on Czech Republic in a Davis Cup opening-round tie at Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club from Feb. 3-5.