Getting around downtown St. Paul will be a bit challenging this afternoon and evening. Parking on city streets will be, too. The reason: The annual North Star Grand Prix Bicycle Race.
Starting at noon, parking on several streets will be banned and road closures will kick in at 2 p.m. Both will last until 10 p.m. A few Metro Transit routes also will be put on detour, including routes 54, 70 and 74. Details are below.
Here are the parking and travel restrictions according to the City of St. Paul:
Parking will not be permitted in the race course interior beginning at noon Wednesday. The course is bounded by:
• West 7th Street, between St. Peter and West 6th Street
• St. Peter Street, between West 7th and East 4th Street• West 4th Street, between St. Peter and Washington Street
• West 6th Street, between Washington and West 7th Street
The following roads will be closed from 2–10 p.m. Wednesday:
• Market Street, from Kellogg Boulevard to 6th Street• Washington Street, from Kellogg Boulevard to 6th Street
• West 7th Street, from West 6th Street to Saint Peter Street• Saint Peter Street, from 7th Street to 4th Street
• 4th Street, from Washington Street to Saint Peter Street• 5th Street, from West 7th Street to Saint Peter Street
• 6th Street, from West 7th Street to Saint Peter Street
Here are the instructions for Metro Transit riders
Downtown St. Paul buses will be rerouted between 4 pm and 10 pm on Wednesday, June 11, due to the St. Paul Rice Park Criterium (bike race).
Eastbound buses will travel regular route on 7th St to Kellogg, right on Kellogg, left on Wabasha, right on 5th St and resume regular routing. Customers may board buses at the bus stop on 5th St, just past Wabasha.
Westbound buses will travel regular route on 6th St to Wabasha, right on Wabasha, left on 7th St to 6th St and resume regular routing. Customers may board buses at the bus stop on Wabasha in front of the former Macy's store or on 7th St at old 6th St.