1. WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD, by Diana Gabaldon. (Delacorte) In the eighth Outlander time-traveling romance, Jamie Fraser and his family face challenges in the 18th and 21st centuries.
2. MR. MERCEDES, by Stephen King. (Scribner) A driver plows into a crowd, killing eight. The killer then taunts a suicidal ex-cop, who must stop another, deadlier attack.
3. THE GOLDFINCH, by Donna Tartt. (Little, Brown) A painting smuggled out of the Metropolitan Museum of Art after a bombing becomes a boy’s prize, guilt and burden.
4. THE TARGET, by David Baldacci. (Grand Central) As government hit man Will Robie and his partner, Jessica Reel, prepare for a mission, they face a new adversary.
5. THE MATCHMAKER, by Elin Hilderbrand. (Little, Brown) A Nantucket resident’s life is shaken by a diagnosis and the return to the island of her high school sweetheart.
6. THE ONE AND ONLY, by Emily Giffin. (Ballantine) A woman who has grown up and made her life in a small, football-obsessed Texas town begins to expand her horizons.
7. UNLUCKY 13, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. (Little, Brown) Detective Lindsay Boxer and the Women’s Murder Club track a killer who was presumed dead.
8. SKIN GAME, by Jim Butcher. (Roc) Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is forced to help an enemy break into a high-security vault; the 15th Dresden Files novel.
9. THE HURRICANE SISTERS, by Dorothea Benton Frank. (Morrow/HarperCollins) Three generations of women endure a stormy summer in South Carolina’s Lowcountry.
10. ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, by Anthony Doerr. (Scribner) The lives of a blind French girl and a gadget-obsessed German boy before and during World War II.
1. HARD CHOICES, by Hillary Rodham Clinton. (Simon & Schuster) Clinton’s memoir focuses on her years as secretary of state and her views about the United States’ role in the world.
2. ONE NATION, by Ben Carson with Candy Carson. (Sentinel) Carson, a retired pediatric neurosurgeon, now a Fox News contributor, offers solutions to problems in health and education based on capitalism, not government.
3. THE CLOSER, by Mariano Rivera with Wayne Coffey. (Little, Brown) A memoir by the great New York Yankees pitcher.
4. CAPITAL IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY, by Thomas Piketty. (Belknap/Harvard University) A French economist’s analysis of centuries of economic history predicts worsening inequality and proposes solutions.
5. UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand. (Random House) An Olympic runner’s story of survival as a prisoner of the Japanese in World War II after his plane went down over the Pacific.
6. THINK LIKE A FREAK, by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. (Morrow/HarperCollins) How to solve problems creatively, from the authors of “Freakonomics.”
7. FLASH BOYS, by Michael Lewis. (Norton) The world of high-frequency computer-driven trading, from the author of “Liar’s Poker.”
8. CARSICK, by John Waters. (Farrar, Straus & Giroux) The cult-film director hitchhikes across the country.
9. KILLING JESUS, by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard. (Holt) The host of “The O’Reilly Factor” recounts the events leading up to Jesus’ execution.
10. JOHN WAYNE, by Scott Eyman. (Simon & Schuster) A biography of the movie star surveys his life, his death and his legend.
ADVICE, MISCELLANEOUS AND HOW-TO
1. THE FIVE LOVE LANGUAGES, by Gary Chapman. (Northfield) How to communicate love in a way your spouse will understand.
2. INSTINCT, by T.D. Jakes. (FaithWords) The power of turning intuition into action.
3. GRAIN BRAIN, by David Perlmutter with Kristin Loberg. (Little, Brown) The effect of carbohydrates on the brain, and how to reverse it.
4. THE TAPPING SOLUTION FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND BODY CONFIDENCE, by Jessica Ortner. (Hay House) A physiological and psychological approach to weight maintenance for women. (b)
5. DARTH VADER AND SON, by Jeffrey Brown. (Chronicle Books) The father-son dynamic in a galaxy far, far away.
Rankings reflect sales at venues nationwide for the week ending June 14. An (x) indicates that a book’s sales are barely distinguishable from those of the book above. A (b) indicates that some sellers report receiving bulk orders.