1. THE GOLDFINCH, by Donna Tartt. (Little, Brown) A painting smuggled out of the Metropolitan Museum of Art after a bombing becomes a boy's prize, guilt and burden.
2. THE INVENTION OF WINGS, by Sue Monk Kidd. (Viking) The relationship between a wealthy Charleston girl, Sarah Grimké, who will grow up to become a prominent abolitionist, and the slave she is given for her 11th birthday.
3. FIRST LOVE, by James Patterson and Emily Raymond. (Little, Brown) Sixteen-year-old Axi Moore invites her best friend, whom she secretly loves, on a cross-country road trip.
4. SYCAMORE ROW, by John Grisham. (Doubleday) A sequel, about race and inheritance, to "A Time to Kill."
5. LOST LAKE, by Sarah Addison Allen. (St. Martin's) Characters gather at a lake in Southern Georgia.
6. THE FIRST PHONE CALL FROM HEAVEN, by Mitch Albom. (Harper) A small Michigan town is transformed when its residents receive phone calls said to be from heaven.
7. THE DAYS OF ANNA MADRIGAL, by Armistead Maupin. (Harper) In the ninth and final book in the Tales of the City series, the transgender former landlady of 28 Barbary Lane, age 92, attends to unfinished business.
8. GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn. (Crown) A woman disappears on her fifth anniversary; is her husband a killer?
9. UNDER THE WIDE AND STARRY SKY, by Nancy Horan. (Ballantine) A novel about Robert Louis Stevenson's troubled marriage.
10. COMMAND AUTHORITY, by Tom Clancy with Mark Greaney. (Putnam) President Jack Ryan and his son, a covert intelligence expert, try to counter a Russian threat in Tom Clancy's last novel before his death.
1. DUTY, by Robert M. Gates. (Knopf) The former defense secretary recounts his experience serving presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
2. THINGS THAT MATTER, by Charles Krauthammer. (Crown Forum) Three decades' worth of essays from the conservative columnist.
3. DAVID AND GOLIATH, by Malcolm Gladwell. (Little, Brown) How disadvantages can work in our favor; from the author of "The Tipping Point" and "Outliers."
4. KILLING JESUS, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. (Holt) The host of "The O'Reilly Factor" recounts the events leading up to Jesus' execution.
5. LEAN IN, by Sheryl Sandberg with Nell Scovell. (Knopf) The chief operating officer of Facebook urges women to pursue their careers without ambivalence.
6. I AM MALALA, by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb. (Little, Brown) The Pakistani girl who advocated for women's education and was shot by the Taliban.
7. GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SECRET SIX, by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger. (Sentinel) The story of the Culper spy ring, which aided the American cause during the Revolution.
8. MY AGE OF ANXIETY, by Scott Stossel. (Knopf) A study of anxiety disorder by the editor of The Atlantic, drawing on research as well as personal experience.
9. THE SECOND MACHINE AGE, by Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee. (Norton) How digital technologies will change our lives and the economy, and what we can do to prepare ourselves.
10. UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand. (Random House) An Olympic runner's story of survival as a prisoner of the Japanese in World War II after his plane went down over the Pacific.
ADVICE, MISCELLANEOUS AND HOW-TO
1. SUPER SHRED, by Ian K. Smith. (St. Martin's) A short-term rapid weight-loss plan.
2. THE BODY BOOK, by Cameron Diaz with Sandra Bark. (HarperWave) A guide for becoming healthier and stronger, inspired by the actor's personal experience.
3. THE DOCTOR'S DIET, by Travis Stork. (Bird Street Books) A flexible diet program aimed at health and weight loss.
4. GRAIN BRAIN, by David Perlmutter with Kristin Loberg. (Little, Brown) The deleterious effect of carbohydrates on the brain, and how to reverse it.
5. THE DANIEL PLAN, by Rick Warren, Daniel Amen, Mark Hyman and others. (Zondervan) A spirituality-based approach to health and wellness.
Rankings reflect sales at venues nationwide for the week ending Jan. 25. An (x) indictaes that a book's sales are barely distinguishable from those of the book above. A (b) indicates that some sellers report receiving bulk orders.