The statement Wednesday by Ramsey County Attorney John Choi and the criminal complaint against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez included new details about the killing of Philando Castile:
- Castile complied with police instructions and did not resist.
- Choi said evidence shows Castile did not try to remove his gun from his pocket. Castile's last words after being shot were, "I wasn't reaching for it."
- Yanez shot Castile seven times in rapid succession.
- After the shooting, officers and paramedics removed a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun from Castile's front pocket, which was about a foot deep. The gun was loaded but did not have a round in the firing chamber.
- A holster and wallet also were later found in Castile's shorts. The wallet included Castile's permit to carry a handgun and his driver's license.
- Yanez's statement to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was inconsistent with his statement to police immediately after the shooting.
- Officer Joseph Kauser did not draw his weapon, and when asked later whether he was surprised when Yanez began shooting, said, "Absolutely."
- The widely watched Facebook livestream posted by Castile's girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, began about 40 seconds after the shooting.