It came right down to the wire, but New China Wok restaurant at 5033 France Av. S. was able to fend off a license revocation late last week. The business owed the city $17,100 in fines for food-code violations incurred over several years. Owner Ben Lan’s son paid the fines a couple days before the City Council was to vote on the revocation. The City Council withdrew the revocation from the Oct. 5 agenda.
Lan’s wife, Stephanie Ollila, who recently became the restaurant’s night manager said the years-long issue of violations and citations was exacerbated by communication issues. Lan’s native language is Mandarin. From now on, the restaurant will take advantage of the city’s offer to provide a translator during inspections, Ollila said.
For the time being he will continue to employee an independent inspector he hired about a month ago to advise him, Lan said.
He is happy to still be in business, Lan said, but laments the publicity the proposed revocation generated. He said that long-time customers call him or stop in to ask “what’s going on.”
Lan said his food is very fresh, very good and nobody has ever gotten sick from eating at the restaurant in the seven years it has been open.
Lan is the restaurant’s only cook and works seven days a week. “I work hard but make no money. But we still keep going,” he said.
More from Star Tribune
More from MPLS.
A 23-year-old man was charged Friday with robbing a north Minneapolis man with his own gun, as the victim and his girlfriend returned home from a trip to the casino, authorities said.
A pair of fire stations on the city's North and South sides will host a gun turn-in program seeking to take hundreds of guns off the streets and turn them into works of art, city officials and the nonprofit group Pillsbury United Communities announced this week.
A Minneapolis police officer disarmed and arrested a man who allegedly pointed a gun at another man during a fight that broke out outside a downtown police station on Monday, authorities said.
Minneapolis police officials on Monday denied charges that their officers were ordered to "stand down" during protests last week outside a fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that produced a few tense moments, but no arrests.
A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man has been charged with second-degree assault in the shooting of a 13-year-old girl in north Minneapolis' Camden neighborhood earlier this month, authorities said.
Recommended For You
About 25 minutes into practice, Bridgewater dropped back in the pocket but crumpled to the turf, seemingly without being touched. Coach Mike Zimmer ended practice.
Here's a quick look at the Vikings’ quarterback situation, under the assumption — and it is only an assumption — that Bridgewater is out of action for a while.
That is, if she ever has another news conference.
The State Department says about 30 emails that may be related to the 2012 attack on U.S. compounds in Benghazi, Libya, are among the thousands of Hillary Clinton emails recovered during the FBI's recently closed investigation into her use of a private server.
National anthem protest brings out the worst in social media.