Motorists driving on westbound I-94 in St. Paul Wednesday night can expect delays as a segment of the freeway will be reduced to a single lane.
The lane restriction will be in effect from 8 p.m. Wednesday until 5 a.m. Thursday between Mounds Blvd. and the I-35E commons.
MnDOT crews will be installing new light poles and signs in conjunction with work on the new Lafayette Bridge, also known as Hwy. 52.
This weekend, southbound Hwy. 52 will be closed from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday for bridge inspection.
Later this year, the current Lafayette Bridge will be closed and traffic will be switched to the new Lafayette Bridge. Crews will take down the current bridge and build a new one in its place during 2014 and 2015. When that portion of the project begins, look for more exit and lane closures along Hwy. 52. The highway itself will remain open during construction.
For those who have not been to St. Paul in a while, here is a summary of ramps that are permanently closed:
- Eastbound 7th Street ramp to westbound I-94
- 5th Street is closed west of Johns Street. It will not reopen.
- 4th Street is closed to vehicles. Bicyclists can use 4th Street to access the Bruce Vento Trail.
- Kittson Street north of 7th Street is permanently closed. That will become the new northbound Hwy. 52 ramp to 7th Street.
- Kittson Street southof the Downtowner and the Holiday Station has been permanently removed.
While on the topic of Hwy. 52, a reminder that vehicles with a length of 35 feet or longer are prohibited from the Lafayette Bridge north of Plato Blvd. That includes buses, trucks and vehicles towing trailers. The recommended detour is to use I-94 to Hwy. 61 to I-494.