Randy Moss' second stint with the Vikings officially came to an end on Tuesday.

The Vikings placed the wide receiver on waivers, according to Fox Sports and ESPN. That means there now will be a 24-hour process in which he can be claimed. The deadline for teams to claim Moss will be 3 p.m. Wednesday. 

The top 10 teams in order of waiver claims are Buffalo (0-7), Carolina (1-6), Dallas (1-6), San Francisco (2-6), Denver (2-6), Detroit (2-5), Vikings (2-5), Cincinnati (2-5), Cleveland (2-5), San Diego (3-5).

Moss will be owed the balance of his $6.4 million salary ($3.888 million) if he is claimed. If he passes through waivers the Vikings will owe Moss the remaining $3.888 million on his deal and another team could sign him as a free agent for approximately $450,000.

The decision by Vikings coach Brad Childress to jettison Moss after four games with the team has caused big controversy and questions about Childress' job security because of the way he handled this move. Childress told his players on Monday he was going to waive Moss but he was not placed on waivers by the 3 p.m. deadline.

Moss, who was selected by the Vikings in the first round of the 1998 draft  and played for the team through 2004, had 13 receptions for 174 yards and two touchdowns in four games with Minnesota.

While the move did not become official until 3 p.m., the Vikings weekly game release that was put out earlier in the afternoon had Moss being waived in its roster moves section.

CORRECTION

A quote that was attributed to Randy Moss' agent, Joel Segal, that ran in the Access Vikings blog Monday was not from Segal but rather someone posing as him on what proved to be a phony e-mail account. The Star Tribune regrets the error.

 

Older Post

Caterer explains Moss tirade

Newer Post

Childress says little about Moss decision