Some of what’s been going on this week in the recruiting world:
- In case you missed it, the Gophers picked up their second recruit for the 2013-14 season and a much-needed forward in Alex Foster from Chicago on Saturday. The Gophers are still searching for another big man along with Foster to help replace forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams after they graduate at the end of this season. Foster joins Alvin Ellis, a former teammate of his, as the second commitment.
- Meanwhile, commit Daniel Edozie plans to de-commit from the U after the Gophers watched him play in a tournament and didn't like what they saw.
- Edina point guard Graham Woodward officially committed to Penn State today, announcing his decision via Twitter. The Gophers liked Woodward a lot, but didn’t have room for another guard for next year.
- According to blogger TC Hoops Czar, coaches from Oregon, Kansas and Northern Iowa were in Grand Rapids to watch forward Alex Illikainen (2015) this week. Illikainen has been get LOTS of big interest this school year.
- The Gophers have plans to visit forward Vincent Edwards (2014) soon, according to 247sports.com. Edwards, from Middleton, Ohio, is ranked No. 66 by Rivals.
- Nigel Hayes, who visited Minnesota in September, has completed all his official visits, and plans to make a decision in the next month and a half he said.
- Sterling Brown, another guard the Gophers were highly interested in (but got out of the competition for, after snagging Ellis) committed to SMU today.
- Tyus Jones and Chicago’s Jahlil Okafor were at Duke over the weekend to watch the Blue Devils’ version of Midnight Madness.
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
Gophers targets and local big men Theo John and Jericho Sims to take official visits to California and Texas this week, respectively
Big Ten Network announced its television schedule for nonconference games Wednesday, including four Minnesota home games
Armstrong junior Race Thompson is being heavily recruited by his dad's alma mater, Minnesota, and several Division I basketball programs after a breakout summer
Cristo Rey Jesuit forward Jericho Sims, one of Minnesota's top recruiting targets, received a scholarship offer from Kansas on Monday.
Former Gophers point guard Kevin Dorsey, who was suspended at the end of last season, denied a report that he will transfer to Colorado State.
Recommended For You
Rookie Jose Berrios had the Twins down 6-0 after three innings but stayed in the game to get work and preserve the Twins bullpen.
Hillary Clinton said Thursday that Donald Trump has unleashed the "radical fringe" within the Republican Party, including anti-Semites and white supremacists, dubbing the billionaire businessman's campaign as one that will "make America hate again."
This is what happens when profits are protected in name of innovation.
A strike by nurses at five Allina Health hospitals will start at 7 a.m. Labor Day, according to required 10-day notices their union sent to the health system early this morning.
Hillary Clinton suggested that the group's programs would continue, perhaps through other organizations, even as critics argue it would present a conflict of interest if she's elected president.