Some of what’s been going on this week in the recruiting world:
- In case you missed it, the Gophers picked up their second recruit for the 2013-14 season and a much-needed forward in Alex Foster from Chicago on Saturday. The Gophers are still searching for another big man along with Foster to help replace forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams after they graduate at the end of this season. Foster joins Alvin Ellis, a former teammate of his, as the second commitment.
- Meanwhile, commit Daniel Edozie plans to de-commit from the U after the Gophers watched him play in a tournament and didn't like what they saw.
- Edina point guard Graham Woodward officially committed to Penn State today, announcing his decision via Twitter. The Gophers liked Woodward a lot, but didn’t have room for another guard for next year.
- According to blogger TC Hoops Czar, coaches from Oregon, Kansas and Northern Iowa were in Grand Rapids to watch forward Alex Illikainen (2015) this week. Illikainen has been get LOTS of big interest this school year.
- The Gophers have plans to visit forward Vincent Edwards (2014) soon, according to 247sports.com. Edwards, from Middleton, Ohio, is ranked No. 66 by Rivals.
- Nigel Hayes, who visited Minnesota in September, has completed all his official visits, and plans to make a decision in the next month and a half he said.
- Sterling Brown, another guard the Gophers were highly interested in (but got out of the competition for, after snagging Ellis) committed to SMU today.
- Tyus Jones and Chicago’s Jahlil Okafor were at Duke over the weekend to watch the Blue Devils’ version of Midnight Madness.
More from Star Tribune
More From Gold in the Barn
Orono three-star power forward Jarvis Thomas received a scholarship offer from the home state Gophers after his unofficial visit Wednesday
Gophers 2018 target and DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur took an unofficial visit Monday to see the Gophers' facilities.
Freshman guard Isaiah Washington will make his local debut on a team with All-Big Ten forward Jordan Murphy. Nate Mason and Amir Coffey are teammates and Apple Valley star Tre Jones has two Minnesota teammates.
The four-star freshman from New York City and reserve transfer from Louisville are the last two members of the basketball team to arrive in the Twin Cities.
The Gophers will host Miami (Fla.) at Williams Arena in November in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge for men's basketball, the conference announced Thursday