Some of what’s been going on this week in the recruiting world:
- In case you missed it, the Gophers picked up their second recruit for the 2013-14 season and a much-needed forward in Alex Foster from Chicago on Saturday. The Gophers are still searching for another big man along with Foster to help replace forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams after they graduate at the end of this season. Foster joins Alvin Ellis, a former teammate of his, as the second commitment.
- Meanwhile, commit Daniel Edozie plans to de-commit from the U after the Gophers watched him play in a tournament and didn't like what they saw.
- Edina point guard Graham Woodward officially committed to Penn State today, announcing his decision via Twitter. The Gophers liked Woodward a lot, but didn’t have room for another guard for next year.
- According to blogger TC Hoops Czar, coaches from Oregon, Kansas and Northern Iowa were in Grand Rapids to watch forward Alex Illikainen (2015) this week. Illikainen has been get LOTS of big interest this school year.
- The Gophers have plans to visit forward Vincent Edwards (2014) soon, according to 247sports.com. Edwards, from Middleton, Ohio, is ranked No. 66 by Rivals.
- Nigel Hayes, who visited Minnesota in September, has completed all his official visits, and plans to make a decision in the next month and a half he said.
- Sterling Brown, another guard the Gophers were highly interested in (but got out of the competition for, after snagging Ellis) committed to SMU today.
- Tyus Jones and Chicago’s Jahlil Okafor were at Duke over the weekend to watch the Blue Devils’ version of Midnight Madness.
More from Star Tribune
More from Gold in the Barn
Former Gophers guard Jamal Abu-Shamala started an alumni group with others this summer to help support U basketball players past and present
Gophers coach Marlene Stollings received a commitment Thursday from Michigan guard Deja Church
Point guard Jalen Suggs became the first in-state freshman guard to receive a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota since Tyus Jones in 2011.
The Patrick School senior guard Jamir Harris became the second member of the Gophers 2017 recruiting class on Wednesday
Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino and assistant Kimani Young were in New Jersey on Tuesday to see the Patrick School's Jamir Harris
Recommended For You
Hillary's role is fair game, sure, but people who sleep in glass houses and all that ...
CHIP SCOGGINSTracy Claeys has a routine on Saturday nights during football season. Once his game is done and he's back home, the Gophers coach unwinds…
The Philadelphia Orchestra has gone on strike, canceling an opening night performance that about 1,000 people had come to hear.
The Twin Cities area, with its 17 Fortune 500 companies, qualifies as "underserved," according to the Stanford effort. What's the catch?
Thousands of prospective voters in Kansas who did not provide citizenship documents will be able to vote in the November election under a federal appeals court ruling late Friday that upheld a judge's order.