The Timberwolves will play only three preseason games this season because of their preseason trip to China.
The Wolves will meet the Los Angeles Lakers in Anaheim, Calif., on Sept.30 before leaving for China to play Golden State in Shenzhen on Oct. 5 and in Shanghai on Oct. 8.
Training camp for the Wolves starts on Sept. 22. The regular season opens Oct. 18 in San Antonio.
• The Gophers women's soccer team opened its season with a 0-0, two-overtime tie with Washington State in Pullman, Wash.
• The fourth-ranked Gophers volleyball team will hold an open scrimmage at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Maturi Pavilion.
• Cleburne defeated the host St. Paul Saints 6-3. Kes Carter had a homer and triple for the Saints and all three RBI. Earlier in the day, the Saints signed free-agent outfielder Harrison Kain. He was with the Wichita Wingnuts most of this season and was an American Association All-Star in 2016.
• Canterbury Park officials have changed the final day of the 67-day meet to Saturday, Sept. 16, two days later than it had been, because a concert scheduled that day was canceled. The Minnesota Racing Commission must approve the switch.
• Ben Gordon, the Gophers men's hockey director of operations this past season, was named the associate head coach of the Chicago Steel in the U.S. Hockey League. After playing for the Gophers, Gordon, 32, had a six-year pro career and then was a Tri-City assistant in 2015-16.