Sarah Wilhite had 13 kills and the second-ranked Gophers volleyball team dominated host Maryland, winning 25-16, 25-19, 25-22 Sunday to improve to 19-4 on the season and 11-3 in the Big Ten.
The Gophers hit .304 to the Terrapins' .119. Wilhite had 13 kills and hit .355, and Alexis Hart had eight kills while hitting .438. Molly Lohman had six blocks, Dalianliz Rosado made 10 digs and Samantha Seliger-Swanson had 34 assists.
The Gophers have won four consecutive matches, not losing a set in any of them, and remain in third place in the Big Ten with six matches left. They visit Illinois and Northwestern this weekend, then close out the regular season with four home matches, ending the season with first-place Nebraska on Nov. 23 and second-place Wisconsin on Nov. 26.
• Former Gophers running back Bob Blakley died Oct. 30 at age 79. A former St. Paul Central standout, Blakley led the Gophers in rushing with 324 yards in 1957 under coach Murray Warmath, averaging 5.0 yards per carry.
• Freshman Dakota Wendell scored in the 70th minute as second-seeded Minnesota State Mankato won the NSIC women's soccer tournament by defeating fourth-seeded Augustana 1-0 in Minot, N.D. The Mavericks (16-3-2) earned the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Central Region tournament.
• Ethan Lizak won the 125-pound title at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open, one of 18 Gophers wrestlers to place in the event of the 28 who went to Brookings, S.D. Mitch McKee (133 pounds), Jake Short (157) and Michael Kroells (heavyweight) all finished as runners-up.
• The Gophers men's golf team finished tied for 11th out of 26 teams at the Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic in Lahaina, Hawaii, the team's last of five fall events. Gophers freshman Thomas Longbella finished tied for 12th, shooting 1-over-par 72 a day after carding a 63.
• Carlin Schulz completed the annual Rocky's Run in 23 minutes, 12.5 seconds at Les Bolstad Golf Course, the Gophers women's cross-country team's last meet before the Midwest Regional on Friday.